Friday, March 6, 2009

Responsibility!

I decided that it's time I taught the kids how to do their own laundry. I remember learning at a young age how to do it, too. It's one of those things that you're reluctant to do because it's just easier for you to do it yourself then have them struggle through learning it, and then you're left with more to clean up anyway. But we're reading a book in my Bible study called "Boundaries with your Kids" and the beginning story caught my attention. It was about a mom who was busy cleaning up her teenage sons room and her friend confronts her and says, "What are you doing?" "Oh, I don't mind," the woman replies. "I'm not talking about you. I'm thinking about his future wife."

Ahhhh, we are preparing them for the future, not the present. If I do everything for my kids, just because it's easier or they don't do it quite the way I would, what am I teaching them? So I told Ethan and Reagan that this was going to be their new responsibilities. If I teach them to do it right then it should be ok, and what a great tool to have in their pockets (and less laundry for me). I took them to Target to get their own hampers, laundry soap and fabric softener. They were very excited. And I'm happy with their enthusiasm and willingness to do more things. I'm Ok with letting go.

Ethan's putting his clothes in the dryer. I taught him how to separate clothes into darks and lights, how much soap to use and how to use the machine. He's pretty proud of himself, and I'm proud of him too.
He can barely get the clothes out of the bottom, but it's just so cute.

Their own little bin of laundry supplies.

Another cute one! :)

2 comments:

the o's said...

you're such a good mom koren! i love these pics and the overall idea. ethan's future wife will thank you one day ;)

Shonda said...

Wow! I'm so proud of you. I remember learning to do laundry at an early age as well. I'll need to remember that when Shrade gets older.