Saturday, September 20, 2008

How Big Does Your Garden Grow?

Bigger than I ever thought it would! If you know me a little, I do NOT have a green thumb. And what started out to be a little project because the kids really wanted to plant pumpkins for the fall turned into something way bigger, and alot more fun than I thought it would be.

I don't have the foggiest idea of how to plant a garden. But I figured we'd just plant the seeds and find out. Well, every single thing we planted took over the yard in abundance. We've thinned and picked and still the plants continue to flourish. I guess God can make a gardener out of even me. :)

So here's what was chosen: some sunflowers, vine tomatoes, two types of pumpkins, come carrots and another flower that never really grew.

The kids really wanted to helped build our garden. Easier said than done.



Isn't it so pretty and leafy? Yah just wait. It was like watching Cinderella's pumpkin and all those curly cues just get bigger and bigger.
And here's our garden today. The sunflowers are WAY taller than me. We've already picked and eaten our carrots because, again, not knowing what I was doing, planted them in clumps and they just grew together and not very big, but were very yummy. The poor tomatoes don't have enough support from the wimpy stakes I bought. Ugh! I guess I'll know for next year.